Wednesday, October 26, 2011

How I Created the Logo for "Steve Jobs' Zombie Army"


*     *    *

My group for the final project in this class, Technology Resources for Performing Arts Educators, consists of Catherine Baggs, Rob Gioia, and Joanna Stern. Although we have no idea as yet what form our final project will take, Rob did coin a–literally–killer name for our group: Steve Jobs' Zombie Army. Take that as you will. Here's how I created our logo.

First I did a Google Image search to find some graphical grist for my multimedia mill. I downloaded images of the Apple, Inc. logo, zombies, zombie-related miscellany, and many "skull and crossbones" images. My idea was to manipulate these in a digital image editor (as in a previous assignment for this class) and overlay the resulting images on one another in layers to create the final logo.

The first image I worked with was a simple black-on-white silhouette of the Apple, Inc. logo. All I did with this was a simple crop and resize operation, to make sure its dimensions were appropriate for a logo. Next, I sorted through many "skull and crossbones" images to find the best one with the skull outlined in white, because I wanted to lay this over the black apple graphic. I used cropping on this image, then I cut-and-pasted it into the Apple, Inc. logo using layers. I filtered this layer with an "Add/Subtract" function to get the right look.

Finally, I cropped an image from another group named "Zombie Army" to exclude everything but the words. I then cut-and-pasted these onto the Apple, Inc. logo as yet another layer and filtered this with an effect called "Burn" to create the toxic-looking script.

Et voìla! The logo is complete. Now we'll have to see what the rest of the group thinks of it...

No comments:

Post a Comment